Friday, July 15, 2011

Hedwig's Theme

I'm not usually one to write movie reviews...but I just have to this time. Yes, this is a Harry Potter post and, yes, it does contain spoilers, so if you haven't seen it yet then stop reading and come back later :)

I'll give you a moment.

Already saw it? Still here?

Okay, here we go.

*please note that it's been two years since I read the last book, and I'm sure there are things I forgot about that people wish were included in the movie and weren't...but since I don't remember them, I am happy :)

Things I Loved:

1. Hermione and Ron's kiss. They nailed the moment. It took everyone by surprise. Everyone in my theatre gasped and started whooping and hollering. I was squealing with glee and clapping. It was absolutely perfect.

2. The dragon in the depths of Gringott's Bank. Usually dragons are always portrayed as dark and colorful, but the pale, almost translucent quality of this dragon was perfect. And the milky blue eyes only added to it's perfection.

3. Professor McGonagall's humor. We cheered when she took on Snape at the beginning and laughed with delight when she gave her, "I've always wanted to use that spell" line. Loved it.

4. Harry Potter. Period. I fell in love with him in this movie. It was, without a doubt, Daniel Radcliffe's best performance...and trust me, I'm not his biggest fan. But he really got to me in this one. I especially loved his performance immediately after he learned that he had to die. The walk to his immanent death was beautiful. Harry is a true and wonderful hero - knowingly walking into death for the greater good. This, more than anything else, was my favorite part of the movie.

5. The wide shots of Hogwarts' destruction. I loved the camera sweeps and angles. I really felt like my home was being invaded. This hit me especially hard when that first shot of the burning castle came up and you could see the Quidditch field collapsing. So many memories came rushing past as if I had been there with them for the past years, watching the games and cheering. It's incredible that someone's writing can make you feel so much a part of the world their words have created. And the colors, music, and tone set up by the movie makers made it so believable. Awesome.

6. The inclusion of Mrs. Weasley's epic line: "Not my daughter, you bitch!"

7. I loved the use of so many flashbacks. It really helped tie the entire story together and helped the viewer to remember where everything started and the huge journey they had been a part of.

8. Neville. Come on. He deserved that from the beginning. Poor little guy turned into a straight up stud.

Okay okay, now...

Things I Didn't Like:

1. The part near the end when Harry grabbed Voldemort and they "flew" around the castle for a bit. There was a lot of yelling, grabbing, and eventual fusing together of sorts...I just didn't care for it. It just didn't quite do anything.

2. Ginny Weasley. She will forever be the worst casting decision of the entire process. Such a huge letdown.

3. I kind of expected a huge moment of celebration and triumph when Voldemort was finally destroyed, but it didn't happen. I was expecting a huge cheer of victory, but instead we solemnly watched him disintegrate and float away...and then the next scene where Harry is walking through the castle and seeing everyone...it was just kind of anticlimactic and awkward.


So those are my thoughts. I enjoyed this cinema experience more than any other I've ever had. It was mostly the movie itself, but the crowd I saw it with was fantastic. There was cheering, laughing, gasping, and even weeping. I'm so glad that I decided to go to the midnight showing so that I could experience it with the most dedicated of fans who have loved this story for years and have followed it from the beginning.

Thank you, J.K. Rowling, for writing such a beautiful story of friendship, courage, loyalty, heroism, the battle between good and evil, and - most importantly - love.

No comments:

Post a Comment