Saturday, July 9, 2011

Back in the Fryin' Pan

Let's face it - I've never been much of a cook. Anything that involves more than 4 ingredients has always intimidated me. But it's not that I haven't wanted to learn. My busy lifestyle has just always gotten in the way. Being involved in theatre means that when everyone else is getting home from work or class and has the time to prepare and cook dinner, I am grabbing whatever food is closest to my arm and heading out the door to a four hour rehearsal. And I love it, don't get me wrong, but now that I'm not on a meal plan or living at home, it's time to learn. So here, in all their glory, are my feeble attempts at cooking so far this summer.

The first attempt was very sad. Mexican quesadillas. Black beans, corn, green peppers, onions, etc. 

Sometimes simplicity is best :)


First time cooking tofu. Black beans with rice, green peppers, and hummus. 

I marinated the tofu in soy sauce first. Really good, but I made a little too much for one serving. 

Whole wheat oatmeal pancakes from scratch. Delicious! (thanks, Savanah!) 



Tofu quesadillas. I sauteed the tofu in oil and chili powder, then added green peppers, cheese, and onions onto tortillas. 


Mushroom Bruschetta with a side of fresh strawberries. Nom. 


Simple, healthy breakfast. Oats, milk, brown sugar, strawberries. 

Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Chunk cookies from scratch. 

Someone help me eat all these. They are literally sitting on a plate in front of me - begging to be eaten. 
Baked Alaskan salmon marinated in an array of herbs and lemon juice. 

One of my favorite things is to make breakfast for dinner. Breakfast is my favorite meal, so why not make it more than once in a day! :)


2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you liked tofu, janellio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um... yes, please. Everything looks great! Especially that pancake... Good work! :)

    ReplyDelete