Sunday, August 29, 2010

Catching Things and Eating Their Insides

I don't know where I would be without my friends. I have the best friends in the whole world. My roommate from the past two years is visiting for a good long stay, and she has been there constantly for me to lean on. She sits and listens to me cry and talk, and then she takes me out so that I can be distracted. She's the best.

I'll admit that it gets a little easier every day. Yesterday was a pretty good day...until nighttime came. I think everyone has those days when they think they're getting better and everything will be alright. And then the night comes, and everyone goes to bed, and you can't sleep. So you sit up and think too much until you are completely overwhelmed. Those are the nights you stay up for hours reading your Bible and desperately searching for comfort...peace...healing. That was me last night.

I started reading in Ephesians and then switched over to the Psalms. The Psalms are so comforting because they are a constant reminder that people long before us struggled and pleaded with God for the same things we ask of him today. And God always listened. He always cared for them. He was constantly showering his grace and mercy on his people. And he still is.

I came across several verses between Psalm 66 and 69 that I found to be especially helpful, so I thought I would share:

66:9 - "Our lives are in his hands, and he keeps our feet from stumbling."

66:12 - "We went through fire and flood, but you brought us to a place of great abundance."

68:19 - "Praise the Lord; praise God our savior! For each day he carries us in his arms."

69:16 - "Answer my prayers, O Lord, for your unfailing love is wonderful. Take care of me, for your mercy is so plentiful."

I love the verse about him carrying us in his arms...every day. He never leaves our side.

I woke up this morning and my cough seems to have gotten worse over night. I was coughing a lung up in the bathroom, and my current roommate walked out of her bedroom and said, "What kind of tea would you like?" And she proceeded to make me tea with honey, brought me Vitamin C tablets and other various remedies for my sickness.

His mercies are new each morning. I am so loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment