Thursday, June 30, 2011

10 Things

I have learned since starting grad school:

1. I really want to teach at the college level some day. I will be teaching a variety of younger ages this fall, which will be awesome, but eventually I would love to be a college prof. You know...after the whole acting thing falls through :)

2. I have accidentally become a vegetarian. I'm not confident cooking meat yet (I always think I'll do something wrong and get sick), so since I left home...I just haven't. It's been three weeks. Every time I consider sticking with it I think about how much I would miss Taco Bell. Sad, I know.

3. The difference between grad students and undergrad students? Grad students come to class. Every. Single. Day.

4. I have learned how to draft a theatre stage design on large vellum and am in the process of learning how to creatively light a show. Fresnel, ellipsoidal, gobo, and cyclorama are currently at the top of my list of "most used vocab words." 

5. I do not really have a list of "most used vocab words." 

6. Theatre in the east (and the arts in general, even) is much more supported and respected than here in the west. Actors, artists, etc. are highly respected in eastern countries because the arts are considered to be a highly necessary means of preserving the culture. There are committees that support and oversee the arts, not to interfere, but to guide it in this preserving process. But here in American they say we have no culture. Artists are often seen as lowly, weird, and unnecessary. It's very unfortunate. 

7. Regular lunches comprised of a box of cookies, a liter of Mt. Dew and a bag of cheese puffs do not make for a good looking couple. Seriously, I have seen it first hand in the halls of the music department. 

8. Another difference between grad students and undergrad students? Grad students seriously want to learn. They don't bring their computers to class so they can surf facebook and watch movie trailers on mute. It's a great atmosphere of focus and contributing. (Granted, not all undergrads are the same. Many are passionate about learning. I've just experienced the opposite end of that spectrum quite often). 

9. We had a lady come in and talk to us yesterday about working in the theatre with special needs kids. It is absolutely amazing what theatre and acting exercises can do for a child with aspergers or LD. It can literally change their world. I loved learning from this woman. 

10. Along those same lines, I have found a new appreciation and joy for learning. I am soaking things up like a sponge and finding that no one has all the answers. No one can ever say that they have "arrived." There is no way to ever have enough learning. It's a beautiful thing. 

2 comments:

  1. This was so cute! I love lists! You are adorable. Also, there is an open casting call here in NYC for "Godspell" in July. I totally thought of you. You could be a star!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg. I want. Don't be surprised at all if I show up :)

    ReplyDelete