Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Promise Not to Promise Anymore

I haven't written a new post in a while, so this will be quite a random conglomeration of  thoughts in my head that have been rolling around for the past few weeks.

First.

God has been so faithful in showing me his glory recently. I have experienced so much beauty this week. From nature to new relationships, he is constantly showering me with blessings.

The other night I was watching Planet Earth with some friends, and I was blown away by God's creativity. He formed the whole universe so that everything would work together. I mean, even the tiniest little bugs that seem like they have no purpose are actually the sole reason why another species can exist. Poisonous bacteria for one species is a life-giving substance for another. I'm just overwhelmed by God's details and engineering.

Second.

Something has been irking me lately. I've noticed as I'm walking around campus that the majority of people who pass me purposely avoid looking at me. Even if we're the only two for literally miles around (ok, slight exaggeration), the poor soul will do anything possible to avoid acknowledging my existence. And I can't help but think, "What the crap is up with that?!" I'm not the most outgoing person in the world, and I may not even say hi to you, but I will for sure look up and at least give you a smile.

So I'm wondering...why do so many of us have this habit? I can't say I've never avoided someone. In fact, I used to be a lot more closed off towards strangers. But then I realized that it's completely ridiculous to avoid acknowledging someone when I walk right by them, especially if we're the only two around. The people on this campus are my brothers and sisters in Christ, for goodness sake! I can understand not saying "hi" to every stranger on the city streets...but here? Really? I just don't get this. It's such a small thing. Look up. Look in their eyes. Smile. Say "hi." Four easy steps and you've instantly affirmed to that person that they are worth acknowledging. You're shy, you say? You fear rejection? Suck it up, little sista, cuz it's somethin' you jus gon' have to get over. Do it.

Third.

Let's talk about something positive again, yes? It's the fourth week of school and I'm still having the time of my life. Homework has been an unpleasant invasion, but at least I enjoy the classes I'm taking for the most part. I've just been trekking all over...staying up late every night like a freshman again...and taking advantage of every opportunity before plays and rehearsals take over my life again. It's been so fun. From late night bike rides to midnight water balloon fights (Aldersgate: Because We Can) to stargazing to jumping off cliffs to having "Bad-A" nights to watching hours of Family Guy to playground hopping to many other things that would have never been able to happen if I was busy with theatre stuff. Coffee has become a necessity to my day for the first time ever, and I can't remember the last time I slept for more than 7 hours. But it's totally worth it. I'm excited to get back into the theatre stuff soon, but I've had a great few weeks.

Life is fantastic. Senior year. Big ol' bite.

Fourth.

Monday was my birthday. It was a fantastic day. It started at midnight with a bonfire, and I woke up the next morning to a lovely breakfast prepared by Olivia. My roommate had left a card on my desk, my parent's present was waiting for me in the living room, and Savanah allowed me to wear one of her beautiful dresses. After chapel I received a huge card with a sloth on it through my CPO, and when I got back to my apartment after lunch, Julie had made a ton of red velvet cupcakes that spelled out "Happy 22nd Birthday Janelle!" I went through the rest of my classes and work, and then a very cute boy took me out for dinner at Sal's. And the day came to a fantastic end when I received tickets to see A Chorus Line at the Opera House by an "anonymous" person. I am so thrilled! It was a wonderful birthday.
So all in all, it's been a good few weeks. God is good, screenplays are difficult to write, and Miracle Whip will never be a sufficient substitute for Mayonnaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment