Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Put It In the Air and Sing

I finally found a video that perfectly summarizes the things that have been on my mind and heart the past few months. It's a teaser for Hillsong's iHeart Revolution. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4NlyZqJhwk

"It's not fair that we can go about consuming every single material option that comes our way while the widow and orphan are stripped of life's basic dignities because they're victims of a conflict that simply isn't theirs."

"It's not fair that there's a generation who are choking on their obesity while, at the same time, there's 30 thousand children who will die today for lack of food."

"It's not fair that we can sit and watch the evening news from the comfort of our living rooms and pity those who live where the storm hit or where the ground shook or where the water rose and simply feel sorry for them and then change the channel while they suffer."

"Who are we to forget the downtrodden or the oppressed or the marginalized while we go about chasing the dream?"

"...because for us to do any more...is actually going to cost us something."

It's just not fair. I could've been born anywhere, into any circumstance. Why did God choose to bless me by allowing me to be born in America with a fantastic and stable family? I could've been born into a starving country in Africa. So why wasn't I? Why are others born into those areas when I don't deserve this blessing any more than they do? It just seems so unfair.

I keep wracking my brain for ideas of things I can do. I feel so limited...but maybe I am my own limitation. I've given away my clothes and offered my time here and there. I've tried to simplify my life many times, and yet I still have enough stuff for four people. There are big things I could do...but they would cost me. And I'm afraid of the sacrifice. I don't want to give up my stuff. I don't want to give away my money. I don't want to be uncomfortable. If I'm not the definition of selfishness, I don't know what is.

I'm going to be praying about this a lot this week..and in weeks to come. And if you have any ideas that you've tried or know of, send them my way.

If you're interested in learning more about all this, check out i-heart.gov. It's got crazy awesome stuff like a simple explanation of the top 20 problems in the world, plus ideas on what you can do right where you are. Maybe you have some ideas that you can't do, but SOMEONE can. Post it and watch it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment