Friday, December 10, 2010

Imagine All the People...

Isn't it strange how things can change so quickly? I'm often astounded at the brevity of life, and yet I find myself feeling like past events in my life happened so long ago. Other times I feel like they didn't happen at all, they were just a dream. Do you ever feel this way?

It happens with old friends. Someone you used to know from high school or when you were kids, someone you hung out with every day...and you see their facebook page or a picture and you're suddenly struck by the fact that you don't known that person at all anymore.

It happens with old relationships. Someone who was your best friend, who shared everything with you, who knew your secrets and dreams...and you see them a few years later and it seems like everything that happened was just a dream. Now they are a stranger and you think, "Wow. Were they really once the closest person in my life?"

Or it happens just with regular ol' life. Things you once thought you wanted seem so far away and irrelevant to your current life, and you wonder why you ever wanted them in the first place.

It's just an interesting thing to me...

Completely unrelated, my boyfriend introduced me to a website a few weeks ago where people can post pretty much whatever they want about anything they want. It's basically just a giant forum of nothing and everything. I've been reading through it pretty regularly, and I came across something today that shed a small ray of hope on humanity.

A guy from Florida had posted that his father was just murdered this morning, and he didn't know what to do. He was very lost and shocked. So far, 600 people have posted comments offering frequent flier miles to the funeral, suits he can wear (apparently he doesn't have one), places to stay, and words of sympathy and advice. All these people he's never met are offering to fly him up to the funeral and give him places to stay. A couple guys asked him to give them his address and sizes and they would overnight a suit to him. I couldn't help but be amazed at all these people reaching out to a complete stranger. It's so very encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment