Friday, December 17, 2010

Try to Remember

It's really hard to get used to not having a dog when you've had one since the 2nd grade. It just feels like something is missing in the house. And not just something... but someone. I've only been home for a day, but every time we walk into the house I expect to see my little doggy wagging her tail from the laundry room and begging to be taken outside.

Even tonight I walked through the kitchen to get something and automatically looked toward the laundry room where she sleeps, thinking I would see her curled up for the night. But it was empty. Nothing but a bag of her old dog food sitting in the corner.

My brother and sister-in-law were kind enough to surprise me by bringing their dog over last night so that I could be welcomed home by a cute, furry friend. It really helped...but of course their dog had to go home eventually, and now it just seems so empty here. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually, but not tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I know this feeling. I got a puppy The last summer I was home from college before I married Lori. She was a Dalmatian and she was gorgeous and super cool! To make a long story short, she ended up having to live with my parents. She was happy there and they took good care of her. A year or two ago (the semester we had our auditions class) they had to have her put to sleep. It absolutely tore me up that I couldn't get down to my parents' house before they took her in. Even now when I visit my parents I miss seeing her run to the door with her smile (it's true she smiled, hilarious!) and wagging her tail so hard her whole back end waved. It's always tough to lose such a big part of your life. It gets easier though, and eventually those "rememberings" bring a smile, reminding you of those good memories, instead of tears reminding you of what has been lost.

    ReplyDelete