Saturday, February 19, 2011

Please Turn Red

Today I woke up at 6:45 am. It's been a long time since I've seen the light of 6:45 am. And, in case you didn't know, it's not very light at all.

I got ready and drove to get some snacks for my fabulous cabaret crew. They gave up their Saturday to work on my show, so I figured it would be nice to make it a little easier on them. They worked their butts off, and it's going to be a great show.

Anyway, I came home and completely crashed. My beautiful roommate went out and got me dinner because I literally couldn't get off the couch, and I popped in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." I've seen this movie about four times now, but it never gets old. People complain that it's too long. I love how long it is. It spans the entire life of the guy, so it HAS to be long!

For some reason, watching it this time made me all weepy and nostalgic. I'm never one to cry at movies, and I didn't actually cry tonight either, but I felt like it. Something inside me ached, watching that little old man grow younger. I love the story of all the things he experienced and how he sums it up at the end. It makes me wonder about my life and all the adventures that are waiting for me. People are always saying that life is so short, but for as short as it is, there sure are a lot of adventures we can fit into it.

What adventures are waiting just around the corner for me? Where will I live? Maybe I'll live in one state for thirty years. Maybe I'll live in five states in two years. Maybe I'll live in the city and escape to the country every other weekend. Or maybe I'll live in the country and escape to the city.

I mean, just look at Benjamin Button. Look at Forrest Gump. Sure, they're just movie characters, but they experienced so much. Both Benjamin and Forrest loved one girl their whole lives. And most of the time that they were together, the timing just wasn't right. And then it was. But when the timing wasn't right, they didn't just sit around or dwell in their sorrow...they went places and did things. They lived life. And then the timing became right.

Both of them traveled across land and sea. They worked a dozen different jobs. They met lots of people and heard lots of stories. But in their hearts, there was always an ache. That oh so familiar longing for home...for that one unobtainable thing that was always just out of reach.

I'm too sleepy to finish this. I've lost my train of thought. But I haven't lost the ache.

No comments:

Post a Comment