Monday, June 13, 2011

When I See Your Face

This post is based on my learnings from two different sermons. One from my home church in Florida, the other from my church in Kentucky. Two different pastors - one big lesson for me.

The first sermon was part of a series called "Cravings" and was entitled "Gluttony." I'll admit that I fall prey to gluttony every now and then. It's not a huge struggle for me, but it happens sometimes. A bad day goes by and I'll go to food for comfort. I stuff myself needlessly just because the food is in front of me. It happens.

The second sermon was part of a series called "Christian: (noun)" and was entitled "Clothe." Based on Colossians 3: 12-14, it was about how we are a chosen people by God. In our world today, being chosen almost always means that it comes at the expense of someone else. But God's love for you never comes at my expense. Everyone can be chosen and no one has to be rejected.

I started thinking about these two sermons and they somehow started morphing together. Gluttony isn't about weight. It's not about appearance. But what do I look at when I see my reflection? When I pass by a store window and see myself in the glass, my eyes automatically search out my flaws. They usually go immediately to my stomach for evaluation. Is it sticking out too much? What about my legs? Are they skinny enough today? And my hair. There's just never enough volume.

But I am chosen.

God wants me. He created me perfectly. God has fathered me with compassion and love, and if I am to spread those things to others I need to clothe myself with the things of the Father. With the truth. I am chosen.

So I made a decision. Whenever I pass my reflection, even if it's just for a second, instead of looking at my body and searching for all those flaws that only drag me down, I will intentionally look into my own eyes. I will look at my face and see a child who is chosen - a person who is loved and cherished exactly as she is - no matter what.

So I did that today as I strolled through an outdoor mall. And you know what? I've never looked better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment