Monday, June 6, 2011

Where is the Love?

So many people are doing amazing things for others. Like this guy.


Blake Mycoskie. Founder of TOMS shoes and the One for One Movement. Thousands of children have received much needed shoes because of his idea. He travels around the country to speak at graduations, conferences, and business meetings, encouraging people to give in everything they do. Read more about Blake here

Or this dynamic duo.


Kyle Yamaguchi and Shu-Chu Wu. Founders of 141 Eyewear. They discovered that 153 million people need prescription eyewear but cannot afford it. So, just like TOMS, the concept is simple: for every pair of eyeglasses purchased, they give a pair away to a person in need. 141. Read more here.

Or this guy.


Scott Harrison. Founder of charity : water. A former "prince of New York," he left his posh city life for the poverty-stricken villages of Africa. He came to know the meaning of "charity" and decided to put it into practice. He set up a business that has one purpose: to bring clean water to those in need. 100% of donations go to building wells in places that do not have access to drinkable water. Donors can even set up a personal campaign and have their friends donate money to the cause in place of birthday gifts/Christmas presents/etc. 

These are just a few of the people who are doing incredible things to help others. These are people who inspire me to evaluate my own life and what I am doing with it. It's so easy for my world to seem so big. My problems are so pressing. The happenings of my daily life are sometimes the only things I think about. I worry so much about little things. 

But last night, as I was reading in Matthew, I came across this: "For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many." It's a verse I've heard before, but it became more real to me last night. The Son of God - the one person who deserves to be served - came to serve others. 

In Acts 2 I read that "All the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshipped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord's Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity - all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people." 

In Colossians, Paul encourages us to "clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony...Christ is all that matters." 

And in Ephesians, Paul says that "He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." 

I am so tiny. And God is so much bigger than my problems. I have been blessed beyond measure, and I want to use my life and resources to help others. I'm not completely sure what this looks like yet, but I do know that I want to travel. I want to meet people and experience different cultures and learn about all the things that are going on outside my tiny little life. And, until I can do that, I'll be working on ways that I can help the people around me - right where I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment